CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, October 24, 2008

My Passion..


"It is by resisting our passions that we are to find true peace of heart." - Thomas A Kempis.


Passion…. What is my passion? What does it means to be passionate? Shouldn’t we be passionate in all things that we do? Peace comes from within; from contentment in spiritual things. Our excessive desires for exterior things should not be confused with our very own passions.


I have always been passionate with things spiritual. I want to always be intimate with my Creator. To be within His embrace and to smell his sweet fragrance. Knowing that He lives within me gives me peace in my heart.


I have always been passionate to guitar; by how much music we can produce from such an instrument and how deceptively simple it looks to master. It is always the desire of my heart to be able to play guitar with mastery and skill. Guitar itself is exterior things. Therefore, I shall not excessively desire for expensive guitar or guitar gears or whether or not this guitar sounds better than the other or what guitar my favourite artists are using. But the mastery of the instrument is interior and this should be my true passion; to master the instrument and to use it to glorify my Creator.


I have always been passionate with well-toned and sculpted body; be it man or woman (I used to have one... hehehe....). In the Bible, the St Paul reminded us to take care of our body because "Your body is the Temple of God and the Holy Spirit is within you (1 Corinthians 3:16)". It is important therefore, for us to always make sure that we take good care of our body. No doubt, the Lord looks at the purity of our heart. But, I prefer having both a pure heart and a well sculpted body. I'm working towards getting back my 'long lost' six pack by doing regular bodyweight exercises (I recommend Turbulence Training). I'm also putting some effort to watch over my diet (Eat-Stop-Eat style by Brad Pilon... click the Nutrition Blog link to find out more).


It is inordinate affections that we should resist.. I strongly believe that it is not wrong to be passionate of things that will lead us closer to God. But, as with anything else in this world, excessive desire for exterior things will be up to no good. I'll always keep a check on myself and pursue things of my passion only and only when it will bring me closer to God. I will guard myself against inordinate desires and cultivate peace and contentment of mind.


'Give us, O Lord, interior peace. Calm the storms of our passions by giving us courage to overcome them and to pursue only those that will glorify You. Grant that our desires may be submissive to reason, to faith and to God. Amen!'

0 comments: