CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Humility...

All men are frail, but you must admit that none is more frail than yourself - Thomas A Kempis

I read The Imitation of Christ by Thomas A Kempis. The 2nd chapter of the 1st book taught me to have a humble opinion of myself. Perhaps, the greatest act of humility is seen in the story of the Nativity. Jesus emptied Himself and became man. Born in the manger and died on the cross.

"To think of oneself as nothing, and always to think well and highly of others is the best and most perfect wisdom. Wherefore, if you see another sin openly or commit a serious crime, do not consider yourself better, for you do not know how long you can remain in good estate."

Many a times I've thought myself to be better than those around me. This is especially true when I'm driving... hehehe.... everybody else are lousy driver except yours truly.... everybody else is either too slow or too ignorant or too reckless... blah.. blah... blah.. So much for humility eh?

Learning to be humble is not easy. It is a process. A discipline. It is easy to laugh at other people's mistake or to criticize others for their weaknesses. It is easy to be proud of our own achievement, our own strength.

If we learn to humble ourselves, we learn to appreciate others. I'm learning.. and still do...

O Jesus my Saviour, grant me the grace to learn and practise what you have taught me by your word and shown me by your life. Amen.


0 comments: